Update! The new YouTube Creator Playbook (Version 3)
My buddies and always smart former colleagues at the YouTube Next Lab —Vanessa Pappas, Ryan Nugent, and Andres Palmiter— have updated the (completely downloadable) critical resource for anyone that wants to create a truly successful YouTube channel.
The YouTube Creator Playbook (download it here) was originally written as a “secret” document of best practices for the select channels distributed by Next New Networks. We collected all our good and bad experiences, and those of our closest associates and competitors, as to how to program, promote, and produce independent channels in the new online environment. It was pretty successful (one of our channels’ upped their video performance by hundreds of millions views) and the wise heads at YouTube decided to make it available to literally everyone in the world who’s online.
The Playbook is still a kind of underground hit. I mean, it’s readily available to anyone, but I’m guessing there are thousands of channels trying to find loyal viewers who have no idea that it’s there and that it could help them. The writing’s kind of dry, but well worth the time.
Here are some of the newest highlights from this Version 3:
The ‘Channel-ification’ of YouTube
If you’re a creator interested in building a successful channel on YouTube, you’ve got to think beyond just getting one big hit. You need to think about how you can build a cohesive channel experience for your audience. Channel strategy (and the ability to drive subscriptions) will be critical to your success on YouTube.
• Captivate Your Audience: Hook your viewer from the start, and keep them watching longer.
• Channel Experience: Create a channel experience around your videos to increase watch-time on your channel’s content.
• Maintaining the Channel Feed: Maintain an active feed that keeps your audience engaged without overwhelming them.
• Paid Promotion: Create promotional videos and use YouTube promotional tools to build a loyal audience.
Throughout this version of the Creator Playbook, we’ve incorporated new features that have recently launched:
• YouTube Analytics Annotations Report
• YouTube Analytics Watch-time Report
• Hangouts on Air
• In-video Programming
• Metadata Defaults
• Playlist Interstitial Creator
• Playlist Start and End Times
• Channel Posts
• Video Enhancements
• Associated Websites